January 25, 2009

My New Old Life

Sorry, more internet outages kept me from posting for the past few days, though there isn't a great deal to report on. Work is getting better as I get acclimated to the team and the project and my technical needs get ironed out. There's an internal milestone coming up soon with some specific requirements so I think it should help me focus my efforts and learn some of the systems I haven't interacted with directly yet. I think that's about as much as I am allowed to say about work at this point but things are certainly going well.

My home/social life has been rather dull for obvious reasons, but I am hoping to change that in the near future. I am trying to get involved in a dancing class/group thanks to some advice from Sharon. I am also getting involved in some of the groups at work which should hopefully keep me occupied during my down time. Then, once my stuff arrives I can fill in the rest of my spare time with glorious video gaming.

It is interesting though. The time away from my electronic distractions has given me some time to get my life organized, and it's also given me time to think about where I am, where I used to be, and where I'm going. It's funny, the Guildhall is this strange dark period that now feels like it's completely in the past. I don't mean a dark period like it was sad or depressing or evil (well....maybe a little :P). I mean a period in my life where I was just so absorbed with my work that I basically let everything else sort of fall off my plate.

In the last week, I've been reconnecting with friends I haven't heard from in years, and that's really cool to me. I am terrible at keeping in touch with people normally, and with the added lack of contact from the Guildhall, I had assumed most of my previous relationships had all but faded away. It's nice to hear that people still have good memories of me and are interested in reconnecting with me. I guess it's probably just sort of the isolation of the new move...another move to another new place where I know practically no one. I suppose it's just nice to know there are still people out there that think of me, even if they aren't here.

Anyway, all that being said, it just reminds me how much I am ready to get back to my old life, in terms of meeting people and hanging out, and just living life, instead of being utterly absorbed in work. It feels good to be where I am, really good. I'm still waiting for the point where I have developed a sort of local circle of friends, but I know that will come in time, I just have to be patient (not my strongest suit). Until then, I'll do what I can to meet people, and do whatever I want to distract me the rest of the time.

Interesting anecdote, by the way. Or maybe not that interesting after you've lived in LA for a while, but Miley Cyrus (a.k.a. Hannah Montana) was getting take out from the Chinese place that I went to for dinner tonight. Everyone was making a fuss over it (and blocking the entrance to the restaurant), but I didn't even know who she was, I actually had to ask my waitress. I guess that shows you how tapped into celebrities I am. Still it was pretty neat, even if it didn't resonate with me that much.

That's all I've got, night all!

No comments:

Post a Comment