October 11, 2007

To Work or Not To Work

That is, in fact, the question. At this point the next thing to do is complete my Unreal map which is due on Monday. I've kind of started it (as shown by the previous screenshots), but I'll probably end up pitching most of that. I constructed that level mostly to verify the design that I wanted to propose in my abstract so it is rather crudely constructed, and some of the modifications I need to make are relatively rather extensive. Either way, there is a relatively substantial amount of work that needs to be done. On the other hand, I did just purchase Folklore and I would love to spend more time with that, and I have the entire weekend to work on a relatively small map. What to do, what to do...

Anyway, that's about all that's going on right now. Classes are going pretty well, though yesterday we were introduced to one of the most horrifying level design concepts yet: Speed Modeling. Basically, the one of the Art Level Design professors comes in and says, "You have 30 min. to create a watertight (read: harder) X and you have Y polys." Wednesday it was a fire hydrant in 300 polys, and for those who are unaware, that's not a lot of polys, and this is for a grade. Basically, it's channeling my least favorite part of art class: high-pressure, high-speed art. The result is a slight sense of anxiety before every Level Design class (it doesn't happen every day and it isn't scheduled), but what can you do. Just thought I'd share that little gem with you all. Now I guess I'll go make some dinner and ponder what to do with my evening some more. Later!

No comments:

Post a Comment