July 27, 2008

Long Time, No Post

I guess it actually hasn't been that long, but for some reason it felt like it had. I officially declared this my last weekend of "vacation" and so starting tomorrow I intend to start being productive at home and to start preparing for my final two terms at the Guildhall. Hopefully, I shouldn't have to work too hard (outside of the internship, mind you) to get things organized in the next few weeks, but we'll see. I think leaving Gearbox and going back to the GH is going to be pretty jarring for all parties concerned. I don't want to spend a lot of time lamenting it right now as I still haven't even crossed the halfway point of the internship period.

Anyway, to celebrate (or mourn?) the end of my vacation, I went all out in terms of being unproductive. I spent Friday night playing a whole lot of 1701 A.D. (which is excellent I must say), I spent pretty much all day Saturday at a bad movie marathon at Ensemble Studios (it wasn't actually hosted by the studio, just some people who work there were involved), and then I spent most of today playing lots of games and ignoring the minor productive tasks I had intended to do, like doing my laundry.

I tried out a new game I got from Gamefly called Nobunaga's Ambition: Rise to Power. It's the Romance of the Three Kingoms franchise "reimagined" and I'd have to say it's alright. It might be better than alright, but ultimately it felt a lot like the Total War games, except not quite as good, which I feel is an unfortunate place for a game to be. It's probably a good game in its own right, but when you have a better game that you enjoy more (and already own) that offers basically the same experience, it's hard to recommend. I also was moving some games from my laptop over to my desktop (since it has returned to being my most powerful machine) and I got sucked into playing a game of Sins of a Solar Empire.

I hadn't played it in a while and since the last time I had played it they released a patch that was supposed to have improved the AI, so I decided to give it a shot. I'm not sure if it was better AI or atrophy of my Sins skills, but it was definitely a hard match. After four hours I still haven't finished it and it was only a 1v1 on a "small" map. I think I managed to reach the turning point, and now I just need to press my advantage and finish the computer off. After that I made some dinner and started up a scenario of 1701 A.D.,which pretty much brings me to the present (minus some eating and laundry folding). It's been a solidly unproductive weekend, and I'm sad to see it go as I'm certain I won't see another for quite a while.

Alright, well, it's getting late so I should start winding down. Night, all!

No comments:

Post a Comment