August 4, 2008

Looks Like Somebody's Got a Case of the Mondays...

I had to put this subject up, if only because the phrase came up not once, but twice, at work today. As for my lackadaisical posting as of late, over the weekend I basically tried to do some basic chores and errands and consistently avoided the serious GH work that I know I should be doing: Thesis proposals, LDDs, GDDs, and all that. The D&D session last night was fun, though a party of ~10 adventurers is certainly a bit unwieldy. I think a single round of combat typically took around 30 min. Still, Casey seems to be a very capable DM and the adventure was fun, and I got to level up, which is pretty cool. It seems like it would take too much time up during the semester, so I doubt it will continue much after next weekend, but I think it would be pretty cool if it did regardless.

As always, I can't really divulge much about work, but I can say it was kind of meh today. The LLD came to look at the progress the LD interns had made on our work, and gave us feedback on some things to improve this week. He didn't seem overly enthused or unhappy about any of it, which I suppose is ultimately a good thing, but I think the interns (myself included) were generally disappointed at the reaction. Probably just a case of the interns being a bit obsessive about our performance, and wanting to feel like we are actively contributing to the project, but I guess it ultimately made the day a little less exciting. Anyway, we are all actively working to improve our work and incorporate the lead's feedback for further review later this week.

I guess the last thing I should bring up is I am officially a professional game developer at this point (at least I think this is one possible definition): I got my first paycheck on Friday. I deposited most of it, but also decided to take some of it and purchase myself a little present, which ended up being Final Fantasy Fables: Chocobo's Dungeon. Don't let the title fool you, this is a surprisingly strategic and challenging little dungeon romp in the Final Fantasy universe. I got to play it surprisingly little over the weekend (thanks to boardgames and D&D), but I basically came home from work today, popped it in and played it right up to writing this post. Good times. It's pretty late, so I should get to bed, but I'll try to go into a bit more detail about the game, in tomorrow's post. Night, all!

No comments:

Post a Comment