September 18, 2008

Crash

I'm not sure if it was burnout, or illness, or just latent exhaustion from traveling and networking, but I just completely crashed today. I didn't sleep well and I woke up with a headache which is never a good sign. TGP this morning was fine, but I ended up spending most of my time doing management and design stuff and had almost no time to move forward on any of the actual asset generation I had intended to do. The design tasks were important, but they were unplanned for during a milestone that really doesn't have a lot of wiggle room. Next Wednesday is our last milestone before Vertical Slice and there's a lot that needs to fall in to place very quickly if we are going to hit it.

All throughout the morning I was feeling a little rundown, so I headed home for lunch and had a bowl of Chicken soup before I headed back to school only to find that our afternoon class had been cancelled (coincidentally on account of the professor not feeling well). I still wasn't feeling so great so I finished up some TGP stuff and headed home to rest, which is pretty much what I've been doing ever since. I took some medicine, put some Angel on the TV and kept falling in and out of sleep. I'm feeling better at this point, though not 100%. I'm trying not to feel guilty about taking the afternoon "off" especially since I clearly need it, but with my work piling up it's hard not to worry about it at least a little.

On a side note, I did have the occassion to try out the Bioware sample mod that's been sitting on my desktop for quite some time. Basically, one of the application requirements for Bioware is a short, one level module in Neverwinter Nights (I'm sure I've talked about this a few times before now), and they have a sample mod up that you can run through to see what they are expecting. The mod definitely did some cool stuff with the scripting and seemed well setup over all, but it definitely felt well within my capabilities which was very reassuring. I don't really know what I expected, but I guess I was worried, which is probably why it took me so long to even try it. I'm sure that if I set aside some time and put my mind to it I can make something really impressive, and that's a very encouraging thought.

As for right now, I'm going to try to do a little work, but mostly I'm going to focus on trying to get a good night's sleep so I can hit the ground running tomorrow. I'm keeping up with all my classes, but my Thesis schedule is slowly falling behind as it's one of the few things I can afford to let drop with out serious (i.e., failing) repercussions. Worst case scenario, I have to stick around a little longer to finish up my Master's, not really the worst thing in the world. Alright, well I'm going to see what I can do before I turn in for the night. Later!

No comments:

Post a Comment