January 16, 2008

Holy Crap, A Real Post!

That's right, a new personal best for this term. I managed to finish all my homework by 9:30 P.M., Amazing! Well, I suppose technically everything isn't finished...

Frankly, I'm pretty sure you can almost always find something here you could/should be working on, but I think I can afford a bit of a break right now and, given I don't think I've played a game for fun since I started, I'd say it's due. In my case, the thing I could potentially work on is the concept for our two-man Oblivion project. Over the next few weeks, myself and another student need to create a small, reasonably fully-featured (quests, NPCs, enemies, etc.) mod for Oblivion, and we need to start planning out what is going to happen in this little adventure. We are meeting tomorrow at around 4:30 to kick around our ideas and put something together to propose to the professor in Friday's class. I've got a few ideas rolling around in my head, but I just need to sit down, flesh them out, and decide which one I'm the most interested in doing.

Our level design professor decided to take some pity on us today and not give us yet another quick turnaround Oblivion assignment. Though he did so while at the same time completely confirming our fears that we were basically trying to cover 11 weeks of material in an 8 week course. Hopefully, this term is just screwed up because of the transition, and things will start to even out next term when we need to start actually working in earnest on the production of our team project. Either way, I guess we'll all just do what needs to be done.

Nothing too crazy happened today, a bit of a lull in the action, which is awesome. We turned in our most recent Oblivion assignment, which surrounded creating a simple and more complicated quest. It was actually pretty fun. We also covered Oblivion scripting in class today, which was fun. Though that is mostly because I really like scripting, Oblivion really doesn't do anything crazy and it certainly isn't very user-friendly. It's basically like working in a text editor, though if you try to save it is supposed to try and compile and make you aware of any errors. It sometimes seems to miss things, but I guess it's better than nothing.

We have a programming assignment due tomorrow, but it wasn't too difficult, just creating some basic functions for this 2D game that we are working on as our term project. Basically, the professor that normally teaches the course created a simple 2D game that is based on one of the example programs that comes with Lua X (the scripting language we're working in), and then stripped out a lot of the code so that we can recreate and augment it. After finishing the assignment for tomorrow, I took a little time integrating my functions into the game which gave me a chance to look under the hood. It seems like it should be fun to work with, and we should be able to make something cool out of it in a short period of time.

Anyway, that's about it. I think I'm going to go play with some of my Christmas loot before I turn in for the night. Looking out at this weekend, it doesn't seem like it's going to stay low-intensity for very long, but the MLK holiday on Monday should help keep things from getting too bad too quickly. I'm starting to get back into my stride which is good. Apparently, getting sick the first week of the term isn't really a good way to start things off, who would have guessed?

P.S. I know the blog has been imageless for a while so enjoy a few of these concept shots (not my work, obviously) from our pitch. If I make anything particularly cool in Oblivion I'll try to post shots whenever I can.










No comments:

Post a Comment