January 6, 2008

No More Vacation :-(

Well, thus marks the closing hours of my winter vacation. A combination of illness and resulting exhaustion has kept me in bed almost the entire time since I got back into Texas. It would seem I caught the flu while I was in Michigan and it hit me full force last night (about minutes after leaving the C10 welcome party) which is really a great way to start the term. Anyway, there's not much to say for today as I spent most of it at least half asleep.

The C10 party was fun and actually ended up getting broken up by the police, well...sort of. The person who was throwing it lived in a somewhat small apartment in a gated community, and a remarkable number of people showed up so it was pretty packed. Anyway, I guess it was too loud, so one of his neighbors decided to call the cops. Apparently in Texas the first time they get called you get a warning, then the second time you get a ticket, and if there's a third time they actually bring you down to the station. That was a little too real for the host so after the first call he cut things off (around midnight). I think the party ended up traveling to someone else's apartment, but as I said, I was starting to feel pretty crappy by then, so I just headed home.

It's nice to be back in my own place again. Not that I didn't like staying with Rick and Sharon, but I guess it's not like college anymore. I feel like my "home" is here and I just vacation in Michigan to visit the family. It's a little weird, but I hadn't really thought about it that way until I got back. I am both excited and cautious for the beginning of the next term. I love all the stuff I've learned and I enjoy working on all this, but I'm not looking forward to the toll it takes on my physical and mental health. I've resolved to try to have more realistic expectations for myself this term, apparently the consensus among my friends and family is that I work "too hard".

Anyway, I think that will be all for tonight. I feel the beginning of another massive headache coming on, and I need to be well rested for tomorrow. If term 2 was any indication, the Guildhall believes in a more of a hit-the-ground-running approach rather than easing us into the next term, so tomorrow is sure to be...interesting. Now that I am back to work, I'll be more consistent about posting.

Here's to another exciting term!

No comments:

Post a Comment