January 29, 2008

Jaded

It's funny sitting in class listening to your classmates talk about their current opinions about school and work, and trying to remember to bright-eyed optimists you all used to be only a mere half a year ago. Alright, maybe "bright-eyed optimists" is going a bit to far, but when your entire schedule is just slamming you to the ground this place can really drive you nuts. I mean, I've basically spent the whole day working and I'm still behind on like three things, tomorrow we have a midterm that I have absolutely no idea how to study for and then Thursday and Friday I have two major project milestones in two days. I mean, that kind of stuff pretty much every week would make anyone go crazy or at least get bitter, and it would seem the majority of the level designers did the latter. Well, maybe a little of both...

Anyway, ultimately I think we are all excited and happy to be working on games and we can't wait until it's our job, but actually being here sucks. I mean, don't get me wrong there are rewarding times, I think I'm getting a lot of great experience, and there are things I truly enjoy, but the whole seems to delight in torturing it's students with outrageous demands just to see if it can break them. I mean, we have gone from 17 level designers to 8 in two terms. That's almost a 50% washout, which is around 8% per month. Anyway, I don't want to spend my night or my post lamenting my position here, I have a chance that not many do, and I know this is what I want to do, it's just a long, painful road from here to there...

Alright, well on that note I guess I'll wrap this one up. Sorry things couldn't be a little more fun and exciting, but it's been a long couple of weeks, and I think its starting to get to everyone, including me.

No comments:

Post a Comment