June 7, 2008

Saturday Bloodbath

Well, it's been a long day, maybe not in hours I've been conscious, but in hours of grueling labor I've put in today. To be fair, this isn't even close to the hardest Saturday I've had, but that hasn't kept it from feeling particularly grueling. I got a bit of a late start today as I stayed up too late playing with Age of Conan and then after I woke up late I continued to play with it until about 3:00. I am very much enjoying it thus far, and I think the action-oriented combat really adds a lot to the game. I'm still trying to figure out what class I wish to be, so I've played a number of different characters for a couple hours a piece trying to get a feel for their playstyle.

My two current favorites are the Herald of Xotli, a sort of Cthulu inspired spellsword (uses swords and sorcery) and the Tempest of Set, which is a mix between a combat mage, a soldier, and a healer. I've also tried the Necromancer which really didn't suit my tastes, the Dark Templar, which is somewhat interesting, and the Bear Shaman which people say starts off kind of crappy but starts to get pretty awesome once he hits about level 15. I'm still playing around with them and probably won't have it completely figured out until the end of this weekend. The game is beautiful though and my new video card is pretty beast, which is awesome.

Anyway, as I was saying...grueling work. We have this scripting assignment for Level Design which is sort of like our midterm project. We basically had to come up with some sort of scripting challenge or task and then write a step-by-step tutorial of how to do it. While that may not sound like a lot of work (as I thought) apparently writing a step-by-step guide of how to do basically anything is far more time-consuming than I had originally imagined. I'd say I am most of the way to finishing it, but I spent a good seven hours on it today and I'll probably need to invest a few more in it tomorrow as well. Then I've still got some other work to do and I need to prepare to present my scripting tutorial to the class on Monday. Well, I'm done for tonight though so I think I'm going to go bash some Hyborian heads in and let off some steam. I think I've earned it.

No comments:

Post a Comment