March 15, 2008

I <3 Radiant

Well, it's been a long day mostly full of work, but it's been pretty enjoyable all things considered. I really like working in Radiant, and I really like doing actual level design. Last term, the only level design I really got to do was in Oblivion, and since that editor is entirely mesh based (i.e., models made in some other program and brought into the game), that didn't really give me a lot of freedom. Working in Oblivion was more like decorating a set...all the pieces were pretty much defined I could just choose how and where to place them.

On the other hand, Radiant has such a robust bsp system that you can make all sorts of shapes and structures completely out of brush work. Add a powerful dynamic lighting system to the mix and you've easily got my favorite of the editors we've worked with so far. That's not to say it doesn't have it's drawbacks, I'm sure it does, but I think it's definitely the one of had the most "fun" working in, and the one that I feel gives me the most power to accomplish what I want. I mean, I spent most of the day working in it and I would still describe the experience as "enjoyable," so take that for what it's worth.

Anyway, as previously stated, it's been a pretty long day and I need to get a good night's sleep so I can be ready for another one. I didn't get nearly as much done as I would have liked and my LDD for DFS is due Thursday so I need to get moving on it pretty hardcore tomorrow. Also, I still need to finish my "speed" map which needs a bit of love, but here's a screen of the work in progress, night all!

No comments:

Post a Comment